Food Allergy Panel 2 IgE Blood Test
The Food Allergy Panel 2 IgE Blood Test measures the IgE antibody levels in the blood to detect an allergy to various common foods.
The Food Allergy Panel 2 IgE Blood Test includes:
- Milk (Cow)
- Egg White
- Sesame Seeds
What is the purpose of this test?
Order this Food Allergy Panel 2 IgE Blood Test measures the IgE antibody levels in the blood to detect an allergy to various common foods. Food allergens are prevalent in the United States. About 5% of adults and 8% of children in America currently suffer from food-related allergies. Although these allergies may appear to be hereditary, whether a child will inherit a food allergy or if siblings will have similar allergic responses can not be predicted. Therefore, food allergy tests like this panel may help screen for potential food allergies.
What causes an allergic reaction to certain foods?
Although any food can cause an allergy, only a few common foods have been characterized as causing most food allergies. However, even exposure to minimal amounts of these foods may trigger an allergic reaction in sensitive individuals. Food allergies are primarily broken into two categories, either IgE-mediated or non-IgE-mediated.
- IgE-mediated food allergies are activated by an immune system response that produces IgE antibodies to combat harmful substances. This type of reaction happens within minutes or hours of ingesting certain foods. IgE-mediated allergies are associated with skin rashes and respiratory and gastrointestinal problems.
- Non-IgE-mediated food allergies often referred to as food sensitivity, are triggered by other immune system factors unrelated to IgE antibodies. Unlike, IgE-mediated allergic reactions, these types of responses do not occur directly after the ingestion of the food and usually cause gastrointestinal-related symptoms such as vomiting, bloating, and diarrhea.
Consuming certain foods may trigger an individual's immune system response. This response is because the body views certain substances as harmful and produces IgE antibodies to combat these invaders. Unfortunately, these antibodies cause histamine to be released, resulting in the symptoms associated with an allergic reaction.
When should I order a Food Allergy Panel 2 IgE Blood Test?
Individuals may order this Food Allergy Panel 2 IgE Blood Test if they have experienced symptoms related to a food allergy. Allergy symptoms vary depending on the individual, ranging from mild to severe reactions. Most food-related symptoms occur within two hours of ingestion; however, they frequently begin within minutes. In addition, the response can be delayed by four to six hours or even longer in some rare cases.
An allergic reaction may affect the skin, intestinal lining, and air pathways. Individuals with food allergies may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Tingling sensation near or around the mouth
- Abdominal discomfort
- Nausea or vomiting
- Itching or hives
- Difficulty breathing, swallowing or wheezing
A severe, possibly life-threatening allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis may occur in some cases. An anaphylactic response requires immediate medical attention. Signs or symptoms of anaphylaxis may include:
- Rapid or increased heart rate
- Swollen throat or lump making it difficult to breathe
- Low blood pressure
- Extreme dizziness or loss of consciousness
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests