B Pertussis IgG, IgM, and IgA Antibodies Blood Test
The B Pertussis IgG, IgM, & IgA Antibodies Blood Test detects IgG, IgA, and IgM antibodies produced in response to a Bordetella pertussis infection.
What is the purpose of this test?
Order this B Pertussis IgG, IgM, & IgA Antibodies Blood Test, which helps detect IgG, IgA, and IgM antibodies produced in response to a Bordetella pertussis infection. Whooping cough, also known as B pertussis, is a respiratory infection caused by the bacteria Bordetella pertussis. It is highly contagious and transmitted through coughing, sneezing, and close contact. Tests are performed to detect and diagnose the infection, and the incubation period ranges from a few days to three weeks. The infection typically occurs in three stages:
- Catarrhal Stage: During the first stage of the disease, lasting one to two weeks, symptoms may include a runny nose, low-grade fever, and occasional cough. Infants may experience apnea and choking. This stage is highly contagious.
- Paroxysmal Stage: The second stage of infection can last for one to two weeks or a couple of months. It is characterized by severe bouts of coughing, often followed by a 'whoop' sound. Patients may feel exhausted and/or vomit after these coughing fits.
- Convalescent Stage: In the third stage, coughing becomes less frequent and less severe, and this improvement continues for two to three weeks.
Whooping cough can cause serious complications, especially in infants, including apnea, pneumonia, and even death. Vaccination has significantly reduced the number of cases, but it is still possible to become infected even if vaccinated. Outbreaks still occur in unvaccinated individuals, with 10,000 to 40,000 cases reported annually in the US.
What does a positive B Pertussis IgG, IgM, & IgA Ab Blood Test indicate?
Blood testing can detect pertussis IgG antibodies in vaccinated or previously infected individuals. IgM and IgA antibodies may indicate recent infection or vaccination but only persist for 2-3 months. Blood testing is not recommended for diagnosing active whooping cough and is most effective after 3-4 weeks of symptoms.
When should I order a B Pertussis IgG, IgM, & IgA Antibodies Blood Test?
Individuals may order this test if they have experienced whooping cough or pertussis infection symptoms. Individuals may need to be tested if:
- You have the classic “whoop”.
- You have cold symptoms and have been in close contact with someone diagnosed with whooping cough.
- It has been reported that there is currently a whooping cough outbreak in the community.
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests