Contact Us 1-800-539-6119

Dermatophagoides Pteronyssinus IgE Blood Test

The Dermatophagoides Pteronyssinus test measures the IgE antibody levels to detect an allergy to house dust mites.


Test Code: 602467

CPT Code: 86003

Also Known As: House Dust Mite; Dust Mite

Methodology:

Thermo Fisher ImmunoCAP®

Preparation:

No special preparation is required.

Test Results:

3-5 days. May take longer based on weather, holiday, or lab delays.


Test Code: 2721

CPT Code: 86003

Also Known As: House Dust Mite; Dust Mite

Methodology:

Immunoassay (IA)

Preparation:

No special preparation is required.

Test Results:

3-6 days. May take longer based on weather, holiday, or lab delays.

Description

This test measures the Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus IgE antibody levels to detect an allergy to house dust mites. Dust mites, closely related to ticks and spiders, are tiny bugs often found in house dust. Dust mites burrow into soft surfaces like carpets, upholstered furniture, and bedding and eat on dead skin cells. These bugs also thrive in warm, humid environments by absorbing the water from the air.

Individuals living in these environments may develop an allergy to Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus (dust mites). A dust mite allergy activates an unnecessary response in an individual's immune system upon inhalation of the allergen. Once the dust mites come in contact with the airways, the immune system will view them as harmful and produce antibodies to combat these invaders. Unfortunately, these antibodies cause a chemical called histamine to be released, triggering an allergic reaction.

The allergic reaction may range from mild or moderate to severe and vary for each individual. An individual may experience allergic reactions minutes to a few hours after exposure to dust mites. An individual with a dust mite allergy may experience hay fever or asthma-like symptoms, such as:

  • Congestion
  • Hives
  • Itching
  • Red or watery eyes
  • Lightheadedness
  • Runny nose
  • Sneezing
  • Sore Throat
  • Swelling
  • Trouble breathing or wheezing

An extreme, life-threatening allergic reaction known as an anaphylactic shock can occur in the most severe cases. An anaphylactic response requires immediate medical attention. Signs of an anaphylactic shock include:

  • Rapid or increased pulse
  • Swollen throat or lump making it difficult to breathe
  • Low blood pressure
  • Extreme dizziness or loss of consciousness

Trusted, Secure, & Confidential


Shop All Tests