Fat Soluble Vitamin Blood Test Panel
The Fat Soluble Vitamin Blood Test Panel measures vitamin levels in the blood to screen for a deficiency or toxicity.
This Fat Soluble Vitamin Blood Test Panel measures the following vitamins:
- Vitamin A - is critical in maintaining vision and essential for body growth, immune function, and reproductive health.
- Vitamin D - maintains the calcium and phosphorus levels in the blood and helps bone health by promoting the absorption of these minerals.
- Vitamin E - is a powerful antioxidant that protects cells from premature aging and damage from free radicals.
- Vitamin K - is essential in blood clotting to prevent excessive bleeding, which can be fatal.
What is the purpose of this test?
Order this Fat Soluble Vitamin Blood Test Panel that measures fat-soluble vitamin levels to screen for a deficiency or toxicity. Most vitamins are classified as water-soluble, implying they dissolve in water. However, fat-soluble vitamins are similar to oil and are not easily dissolved in water. The four main fat-soluble vitamins are vitamins A, D, E, and K. These fat-soluble vitamins can be found in the body's liver, fatty tissue, and muscles. Fat-soluble vitamins are most abundant in high-fat foods. This is because they are more easily absorbed into the bloodstream when eaten with dietary fat.
What conditions cause abnormal vitamin levels?
Vitamin deficiencies occur when an individual does not get enough of a particular vitamin, which can cause significant health problems. For example, malnourishment or a very limited diet may increase the risk of health problems like heart disease, cancer, and poor bone health (osteoporosis). In addition, some underlying health conditions can cause the malabsorption of vitamins, resulting in a deficiency.
However, vitamin toxicity happens when an individual ingests high doses of vitamins, resulting in a rare condition known as hypervitaminosis. Additionally, consuming high dosages of vitamin supplements or excessive amounts of animal food products can lead to health conditions such as hypercalcemia, intracranial hypertension, and severe congenital disabilities.
When should I order a Fat Soluble Vitamin Blood Test Panel?
Individuals may order this blood test panel if they have experienced vitamin deficiency or toxicity symptoms. Common signs and symptoms of a vitamin deficiency include:
- Shortness of breath
- Pale or yellowish skin
- Irregular heart rate
- Weight loss
- Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
- Muscle weakness
Common signs and symptoms of vitamin toxicity include:
- Intracranial hypertension (pressure in the skull)
- Blurry vision or blindness
- Bone pain
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests