Bacterial Overgrowth of the Small Intestine Breath Test -3 Hours-Genova Test Kit
The 3 Hour Bacterial Overgrowth of the Small Intestine Breath Test is a Non-invasive, gastrointestinal test detects bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, often referred to as BOSI or SIBO.
This simple, non–invasive, gastrointestinal test detects bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, often referred to as BOSI or SIBO. Small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) is a common gastrointestinal disorder that often underlies chronic gastrointestinal symptoms of maldigestion and malabsorption, including bloating, gas, diarrhea, irregularity, and abdominal pain.
The 3-hour SIBO profile provides insight into gas levels over a longer period of time, and is recommended for patients with slower gastrointestinal transit or constipation.
Bacterial overgrowth can inhibit nutrient absorption and lead to the following serious health problems:
- Altered intestinal permeability (leaky gut)
- Carbohydrate intolerance
- Malnutrition and weight loss
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Causes of small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO/BOSI):
- Crohn's Disease
- Radiation Damage
Normally, far fewer bacteria inhabit the small intestine than the ample growth found in the colon. Gastric acid secretion and intestinal motility keep the small intestine relatively free of bacteria. However, a wide range of abnormalities and malfunctions can encourage bacteria to multiply in the small intestine causing SIBO/BOSI. The most common causes of SIBO/BOSI relate to a decrease in the production of hydrochloric acid or pancreatic enzymes, thereby creating an unsterile environment for the small intestine.
The Bacterial Overgrowth of the Small Intestine Breath Test (SIBO/BOSI) is appropriate for patients who demonstrate:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), the most commonly diagnosed gastrointestinal disorder, affecting 20% of the general population. The SIBO test aids in identifying the actual cause of IBS. Studies suggest that as many as 50-75% of patients with IBS have SIBO/BOSI, as demonstrated by hydrogen breath testing
- Unexplained abdominal symptoms, especially gas and bloating
- The inability to tolerate sweet or starchy foods, fiber, or friendly flora supplements
• Specimen Requirements: Eight fasting breath samples—at baseline, 20 min, 40 min, 60 min, 90 min, 120 min, 160 min, 180 min
• Before Patient Takes This Test: - Avoid high-fiber foods and supplements (2 days before) - Eat a light dinner (on the night before) - Fast (12 hours before) - Inform practitioner of all medications and supplements - See instructions inside test kit for details
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests