Comprehensive Melatonin Profile, Saliva - Genova Test Kit
The Comprehensive Melatonin Profile is a convenient, non-invasive salivary hormone test that analyzes the circadian secretion patterns of melatonin.
Using a complete light-dark cycle, the Comprehensive Melatonin Profile reveals abnormal levels of melatonin that relates to various physical and psychological symptoms as well as premature acceleration of the body's aging process.
Melatonin Hormone Testing
The Comprehensive Melatonin Profile offers many distinct clinical advantages. This hormone test:
- Analyzes three saliva specimens taken at morning, noon, and midnight. This type of hormone testing allows for evaluation of melatonin activity of a complete light-dark cycle
- Measures salivary levels which correlate well with serum testing. This hormone test offers a safe, economical, and non-invasive way of assessing pineal function and melatonin secretion patterns
Once hormonal imbalances have been identified, results can be used to design and implement successful therapeutic programs, including the timed application of bright light, removal of interfering factors, and melatonin administration.
Melatonin imbalances have been associated with a wide array of health problems, including:
- Sleep disorders
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Chronic progressive multiple sclerosis
- Menstrual irregularities
Melatonin's synthesis and secretion can be strongly influenced by day length, artificial illumination, electromagnetic energy, exercise, seasonal changes, impairment in methionine metabolism, and aging. Since synthesis and secretion are easily disrupted, accurate assessment of levels and circadian rhythm is critical.
The Role of Melatonin
Melatonin is synthesized within the pineal gland from tryptophan during the dark phase of the day. With its unique ability to pass through all blood barriers in the body, melatonin acts as the central hub of physiological function. Melatonin's role is to:
- Orchestrate the complex interactions between the mind, body, and environment
- Influence most of the autonomic, hormonal, and behavioral functions of the human organism
- Advance sleep time and duration
- Modulate annual and circadian biorhythms (thereby reducing symptoms of jet-lag)
- Regulate the body temperature
- Regulate cardiovascular function
- Regulate immune function, with a possible role in fighting cancer
- Act as an antioxidant
- Regulate female reproductive hormones
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests