Gut Pathogen Profile-Genova Test Kit
The Gut Pathogen Profile detects pathogenic or potentially pathogenic organisms such as parasites, bacteria, and yeast in a stool sample.
This test measures the following analytes:
- Bacterial and mycology cultures
- Bacterial and mycology sensitivities
- KOH Preparation for yeast
- Microscopic fecal specimen examination for ova and parasites (O&P)
- 6 Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) targets
- Macroscopic exam for worms
Individuals also have the option to add-on the following tests to this profile:
- Campylobacter spp
- Clostridium difficile
- HpSA - H. pylori
- Shiga toxin E. coli
Don't hesitate to contact Walk-In Lab's Customer Service at 1-800-539-6119 if you are interested in any add-on tests, as additional fees may be applied.
What are pathogens?
Pathogens are tiny organisms, such as a virus, bacteria, fungi, yeast, or parasites, that cause infections or diseases. Usually, the body combats pathogens by using the immune system and some "helpful" bacteria in the body's normal human flora. However, if the immune system or "helpful" bacteria is compromised or weakened, pathogenic bacteria being combatted can re-emerge and spread, causing harm to the host.
What is the purpose of this test?
Order this Gut Pathogen Profile to detect pathogenic or potentially pathogenic organisms such as parasites, bacteria, and yeast in a stool sample. The Gut Pathogen Profile provides insight into whether gut symptoms originate from a pathogenic organism. Accurate identification of the causative pathogen allows the individual to choose an appropriate targeted treatment to resolve the infection. Targeted therapies such as antimicrobial, dietary, lifestyle, and supplementation interventions help to improve symptoms by controlling the infection and preventing it from spreading.
Genova developed the Gut Pathogen Profile by combining PCR, culture, and microscopic methods to ensure the identification of all relevant organisms. Genova believes that utilizing a single technology cannot fully capture the dynamics of the microbiome. Therefore, Genova uses the best technological methodologies available in this profile to assess the gut microbiome, such as:
- The 16S rRNA gene polymerase chain reaction (PCR) amplification technique for anaerobic commensal bacteria
- Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) technology for bacterial and fungal species identification via culture
- Gold standard microscopic ova & parasites (O&P) detection
- Real-time PCR for the identification of 6 common parasites
- Next-Generation DNA sequencing for Blastocystis spp.
When should I order a Gut Pathogen Profile?
The Gut Pathogen Profile helps evaluate patients with a clinical history representative of a gastrointestinal infection or dysbiosis. Individuals may use this profile to assess the effectiveness of treatment. Pathogenic testing is ideal for patients with sudden bowel habits changes that have:
- Recently traveled abroad
- Been camping
- Been exposed to untreated water
- Close contact with animals
- Consumed undercooked meat or seafood
Common symptoms associated with a pathogenic infection include:
- Abdominal pain
- Anal itching
Should I order a one-day or three-day sample collection?
The selection of a one-day or three-day sample collection is based on whether the patient's suspected of having a parasitic infection. A one-day sample will likely be adequate if there is no suspicion. However, a three-day sample collection is optimal if a parasitic infection is suspected.
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests