High-density Lipoprotein (HDL) Cholesterol Blood Test
The High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Blood Test measures the level of good cholesterol in the bloodstream to assess the risk of heart disease.
What is the purpose of this test?
The High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Blood Test is a diagnostic test used to measure the level of good cholesterol in the bloodstream. High-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol is considered to be the "good" cholesterol as it helps to remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, also known as the "bad" cholesterol, from the arteries and prevent the risk of heart diseases. The test involves taking a small sample of the patient's blood which is then analyzed in a laboratory to determine the level of HDL cholesterol. Typically, this test is done as a part of a lipid profile test, which also includes the measurement of total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglyceride levels in the blood.
The results of this test can help doctors assess the risk of heart disease and determine the appropriate treatment plan for the patient. If the HDL cholesterol level is high, it indicates a lower risk of heart disease, while a low HDL cholesterol level can increase the risk of heart disease. The treatment plan may include lifestyle changes such as regular exercise, a healthy diet, and quitting smoking, along with medications to lower cholesterol levels if necessary.
Who would benefit from this test?
The High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Blood Test would be beneficial for:
- Individuals with a family history of high cholesterol or heart disease
- People who have previously been diagnosed with high cholesterol
- Individuals who are overweight or obese
- Those who have a sedentary lifestyle
- People with a history of smoking or use tobacco products
- Individuals with high blood pressure or diabetes
- Those who have a poor diet, with a high intake of saturated and trans fats
- People who have a history of heart disease
- Individuals who have had a stroke or heart attack in the past
- Those who have reached middle age (men over 45 and women over 55)
When should I order a High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Blood Test?
A High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) Cholesterol Blood Test may be ordered if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Shortness of breath
- Numbness or weakness in your arms or legs
- Vision changes
- Difficulty speaking or understanding speech
- Severe headache
It is important to note that many people with high cholesterol may not experience any symptoms at all, which is why regular check-ups with your doctor are crucial for maintaining good overall health.
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests