Mussel Allergy IgE Blood Test
The mussel allergy IgE blood test measures the amount of allergen-specific IgE antibodies in the blood to detect an allergy to mussels.
Order a mussel allergy IgE blood test to detect an allergy to mussels. This test measures the amount of allergen-specific antibodies in a blood sample.
Mussel, common mussel or blue mussel, is in a group of one of the main eight popular food allergies, shellfish. There are two groups of shellfish; mollusks and crustaceans. Mussels are part of the mollusks group. The majority of individuals who are allergic to one group of shellfish are allergic to the other group as well.
An allergy to mussels triggers a reaction in an individual's immune system. The body views certain substances as toxic and produces IgE antibodies to these contaminants. These antibodies cause histamine to be released, which will cause the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
Allergy symptoms vary from one individual to the next ranging from mild to severe reactions, which can be experienced within minutes to hours after exposure. Common symptoms of a mussel allergy may include one or more of the following symptoms:
- Tingling in the mouth
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue, throat, ears, fingers, or hands
- Abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, or vomiting
- Skin reactions including itching, hives, or eczema
- Congestion, trouble breathing, or wheezing
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
In the most severe cases, an extreme, life-threatening allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis can occur. An anaphylactic reaction needs medical attention immediately. Anaphylaxis signs include:
- Rapid pulse
- Swollen throat (or lump in the throat) that makes breathing difficult
- Severe drop in blood pressure (shock)
- Extreme dizziness or loss of consciousness
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests