Osteocalcin Blood Test
The Osteocalcin Blood Test measures the osteocalcin protein levels in the blood to screen for bone disease.
What is Osteocalcin?
Osteocalcin is a protein found in bones and teeth. It is secreted by bone-building cells, called osteoblasts, and is deposited inside the bone matrix. Osteocalcin is often used as a biomarker for bone formation. It has been routinely observed that higher serum osteocalcin levels correlate with bone diseases characterized by increased bone turnover, especially osteoporosis.
What is the purpose of this test?
Order this Osteocalcin Blood Test to measure the osteocalcin protein levels to screen for bone disease. Additionally, this test may be used to:
- Evaluate the effectiveness of bisphosphonates, a class of drugs used to treat osteoporosis.
- Observe the rate of bone resorption and formation.
- Monitor metabolic bone diseases, such as osteoporosis, characterized by decreased bone density and mass.
- Detect metabolic bone disorders such as osteoporosis, Paget disease, and rickets.
When should I order an Osteocalcin Blood Test?
Individuals may order this test if they have experienced symptoms related to bone disease. Common signs or symptoms of bone disease may include the following:
- Bone or joint pain
- Increased frequency of bone fractures
- Delayed growth and bone development
- Deformed bones
- Brittle teeth
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests