Walnut Allergy IgE Blood Test
The walnut allergy IgE blood test measures the amount of allergen-specific IgE antibodies in the blood to detect an allergy to walnuts.
Order a walnut allergy IgE blood test to detect an allergy to walnuts. This test measures the amount of allergen-specific antibodies in a blood sample. Walnuts are a type of tree nut that comes from the walnut tree. The walnut is a good source of manganese, magnesium, iron, vitamin B6, phosphorus, copper, protein, fiber, and healthful fats.
Besides being one of the most popular food allergies, tree nuts are an important food source worldwide. If an individual has an allergy to one tree nut, it is extremely likely to have an allergy to other tree nuts. Some research shows that the allergens in pecans and those in walnuts have similarities. This similarity is otherwise defined as cross-reactivity.
Individuals with tree nut allergies should be careful to verify food ingredients because nuts and nut oils are found in many food items. Tree nuts might be found in foods such as:
- Baked goods: Cookies, pie crusts, candy, pastries, and others
- Cereals and granola
- Candy: Chocolate candy especially; also marzipan and nougat
- High energy bars
- Other sweets: Ice cream, puddings, hot chocolate, and frozen desserts
- Trail mix
- Grain breads
- Chili and soups
- Veggie burgers
- International foods. Nuts are common ingredients in Asian and African cooking (especially Indian and Thai foods) and in Mediterranean and Mexican foods.
- Salads and salad dressing
- Sauces. These may include barbeque sauce, gravy, pesto, hot sauce, glazes, mole sauce, or marinades.
An allergy to the walnut triggers a reaction in an individual's immune system. The body views certain substances as toxic and produces IgE antibodies to these contaminants. These antibodies cause histamine to be released, which will cause the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
Allergy symptoms vary from one individual to the next ranging from mild to severe reactions, which can be experienced within minutes to hours after consumption. Common symptoms of a walnut allergy may include one or more of the following symptoms:
- Itching around the face or mouth
- Stomach pain
- Swelling lips
- Puffy or runny eyes
- Gravelly throat
- Trouble breathing
- Feeling faint
- Difficulty swallowing
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests