Cellular Nutrition Assays (CMA, Redox & APA) & MethylDetox Profile - ALCAT Test Kit
The Cellular Nutrition Assays (CMA, Redox & APA) & MethylDetox Profile - ALCAT Test Kit is a tool used to assess the levels of nutrients and antioxidants present in cells, as well as the body's ability to detoxify through methylation. Note: This is a pre-paid shipping test kit that will be mailed and it requires a blood draw. Please Click Here to locate a lab for specimen collection.
What is the purpose of this test?
The Cellular Nutrition Assays (CMA, Redox & APA) & MethylDetox Profile - ALCAT Test Kit consists of two separate tests - the Cellular Nutrition Assays (CMA, Redox & APA) and the MethylDetox Profile. These tests help in evaluating an individual's nutritional status and their body's ability to detoxify and eliminate harmful toxins through methylation. By measuring the levels of various nutrients and antioxidants in the cells, these tests can identify nutrient deficiencies, oxidative stress, and imbalances in the body's detoxification pathways. The test results can guide personalized nutrition and lifestyle recommendations to optimize health and prevent chronic diseases.
The Cellular Nutrition Assay is a type of test that evaluates a patient's nutrient requirements at a cellular level. It examines nutrient insufficiencies, overall antioxidant function, and particular advantageous antioxidants to provide an understanding of the nutrient reserves in their cells. This test is similar to hemoglobin A1C, which displays extended information about blood sugar levels. The CNA is customized for each person, considering how their immune cells react to various aspects of the test.
The Cellular Nutrition Assays (CMA, Redox & APA) include the following components:
- Cellular Micronutrient Assay (CMA) - Functional cellular nutrient analysis evaluates how individual nutrients impact cell function. The CMA method measures micronutrient effects on T and B lymphocyte reproduction when stimulated by a mitogen. Faster reproduction of these cells helps fight infections, driven by nutrient stores that vary due to factors like stress and genetics. Nutrients are crucial for cell growth and multiplication.
- Intracellular vs. Serum and Plasma Assessment - When measuring micronutrients in plasma or serum, it's important to note that levels reflect nutrients outside cells, not inside, where they have the greatest impact. These levels can also fluctuate daily, so assessing the nutrient impact on cellular function is best to understand long-term nutritional status better.
- Redox Assay - Redox is a chemical reaction that can cause oxidative stress, leading to chronic disease. To measure this, a Redox Assay is necessary. The assay tests cells' resistance to oxidative damage and overall antioxidant capacity. It involves adding increasing levels of H2O2 to lymphocytes, which can harm the cells and decrease growth rates. The assay determines cells' ability to resist damage and prevent harm, identifying potential health risks.
- Antioxidant Protection Assay - The Antioxidant Protection Assay (APA) identifies antioxidant nutrients that can help patients' cells resist oxidative stress. The process involves adding individual antioxidants to the patient's cells and serum in the presence of oxidative stress molecules. The test is then repeated for each antioxidant. The results identify which specific antioxidants are highly protective or protective and can help support the recovery of patients' lymphocytes from the effects of oxidative stress.
Benefits of the Cellular Nutrition Assays (CMA, Redox & APA):
- Identification of Food Sensitivities: The assays can help identify specific foods or substances that may trigger sensitivities or intolerances at the cellular level. This information can guide individuals in creating personalized diets that avoid problematic substances.
- Customized Dietary Plans: Results from Cellular Nutrition Assays can be used to create personalized nutrition plans tailored to an individual's cellular responses. This may lead to dietary adjustments that better support overall health and well-being.
- Symptom Relief: For individuals experiencing unexplained symptoms, such as digestive issues, skin problems, or fatigue, identifying and avoiding substances causing cellular reactions can contribute to symptom relief.
- Optimizing Athletic Performance: Athletes and fitness enthusiasts may use Cellular Nutrition Assays to identify substances that could impact cellular function and, consequently, athletic performance. This information can guide dietary choices for optimal training outcomes.
- Weight Management Support: Identifying and avoiding foods that trigger cellular reactions may assist individuals in managing their weight. This can be beneficial for those looking to achieve or maintain a healthy weight.
- Digestive Health Improvement: By pinpointing substances that may contribute to digestive issues, Cellular Nutrition Assays may aid in improving digestive health, reducing symptoms such as bloating, gas, and discomfort.
- Individualized Wellness Strategies: The assays contribute to an individualized approach to wellness by considering the unique cellular responses of each person. This can be valuable for those interested in holistic health practices.
- Proactive Health Management: Cellular Nutrition Assays proactively manage health by identifying potential triggers before they lead to more serious health issues. This can be particularly relevant for preventive care.
The MethylDetox Profile is an all-encompassing testing procedure that deeply understands your body's methylation and detoxification processes. It offers a more comprehensive analysis than just MTHFR testing and provides detailed insights into your nutrient requirements, which you can discuss with your healthcare provider. This profile is an invaluable tool for anyone seeking to optimize their health and wellness by better understanding their body's unique needs.
The MethylDetox Profile includes the following test components:
- MTHFR - The MTHFR gene produces the crucial MTHFR enzyme that helps maintain optimal health within the body. However, if the gene has a variant, it can negatively affect folate metabolism, which is linked to various diseases.
- MTR - The MTR codes for the enzyme methionine synthase (MS), which converts homocysteine to methionine using methylated vitamin B12. Variants in this gene can significantly impact homocysteine metabolism, potentially increasing the risk for various chronic conditions, including cardiovascular diseases, metabolic and neurological disorders, and certain cancers.
- MTRR - The MTRR gene encodes methionine synthase reductase (MSR), a crucial enzyme. The proper functioning of methionine synthase (MTR) requires MSR. These genes work together to convert homocysteine into methionine. Variants of these genes can contribute to the development of various health conditions, such as cancer, Parkinson's disease, depression, and hypertension.
- COMT - The COMT gene is crucial in methylation and significantly impacts several medical conditions, such as estrogen-induced cancers, Parkinson's disease, depression, hypertension, and others. It also helps maintain the balance of neurotransmitters by utilizing SAMe from methionine. However, genetic variations in the COMT gene can lead to various neurological issues and have been linked to Autism.
- AHCY - Having good methylation potential is essential for maintaining good health. The AHCY enzyme is responsible for converting AdoHcy to homocysteine and adenine. Any variations in the AHCY gene can result in poor methylation potential, leading to myopathies, delays, and hypermethioninemia.
Benefits of the MethylDetox Profile:
- Identification of Methylation Imbalances: The test can provide insights into methylation imbalances, helping individuals understand how efficiently their body is performing this crucial biochemical process.
- Assessment of Detoxification Capacity: By evaluating the methylation pathways, the MethylDetox Profile offers information about the body's ability to detoxify and eliminate toxins. This can be particularly relevant for individuals with environmental toxin exposure or detoxification challenges.
- Customization of Treatment Plans: Results from the MethylDetox Profile can guide healthcare practitioners in developing personalized treatment plans. This may include targeted interventions to support optimal methylation and detoxification pathways.
- Insights for Chronic Health Conditions: For individuals with chronic health conditions, the MethylDetox Profile may reveal methylation-related factors contributing to their health issues. This information can be valuable for a more comprehensive understanding of underlying causes.
- Relevance to Neurological and Mood Disorders: Methylation is involved in neurotransmitter synthesis, and imbalances may be associated with neurological and mood disorders. The MethylDetox Profile may provide insights for individuals experiencing such conditions.
- Preconception and Fertility Planning: Couples planning pregnancy may benefit from assessing methylation status, as it plays a role in reproductive health. The MethylDetox Profile can provide information relevant to fertility and the health of the developing fetus.
- Personalized Health Optimization: Individuals interested in personalized health optimization can use the MethylDetox Profile to proactively identify and address potential methylation issues before they manifest as health problems.
- Guidance for Nutritional and Lifestyle Interventions: Test results can guide recommendations for nutritional supplements, dietary changes, and lifestyle modifications aimed at supporting optimal methylation and detoxification processes.
In addition, this test also includes an add-on homocysteine test. If you are interested in this add-on, contact Walk-In Lab's Customer Service at 1800-539-6119, as additional charges will apply.
- Homocysteine - Homocysteine is an amino acid crucial in maintaining the methionine cycle. High levels of homocysteine are linked to an increased risk of chronic illnesses, specifically cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and neurodegenerative disorders.
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests