hCG (Pregnancy) Blood Test, Qualitative
The hCG (Pregnancy) Blood Test, QL, provides a positive or negative result depending on the presence or absence of hCG in a blood sample to confirm pregnancy.
What is the purpose of this test?
Order this hCG (Pregnancy) Blood Test, QL, which provides a positive or negative result depending on the presence or absence of hCG in a blood sample to determine pregnancy. Human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) is a hormone produced during pregnancy by the placenta and found in the bloodstream. HCG is typically detected in the urine or blood within 10 to 11 days of conception (when a sperm fertilizes an egg). HCG is often called the pregnancy hormone because of its special role in supporting a pregnancy.
Once the placenta starts producing HCG, it triggers the body to create more estrogen and progesterone. Jointly with HCG, these hormones help thicken the uterine lining and tell the body to stop releasing eggs (menstruating). The proper balance of these three hormones maintains and supports the pregnancy.
The qualitative HCG blood test results will be reported as negative or positive.
- A negative result indicates that a woman is not pregnant.
- A positive result indicates that a woman is pregnant.
- In some cases, a result may report a test as indeterminate. This usually happens due to a small amount of HCG being detected in the blood, for example, very early in pregnancy or when a pregnancy has miscarried. In these cases, a retest will need to be performed. Individuals should contact their healthcare provider for further information regarding their results.
When should I order an HCG (Pregnancy) Blood Test, QL?
Individuals may order this test if they have experienced pregnancy-related symptoms or a failing pregnancy. Common signs or symptoms of pregnancy include:
- Missed menstruation
- Tender or swollen breasts
- Nausea with or without vomiting
- Frequent urination
- Food distaste or cravings
In addition, common signs of a failing pregnancy may include the following:
- Vaginal bleeding
- Cramping and pain in the lower abdomen
- A discharge of fluid from the vagina
- A release of tissue from the vagina
- No longer experiencing pregnancy symptoms, such as nausea or vomiting and breast tenderness
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests