Complete Blood Count (CBC) with Differential and Platelets Blood Test
The CBC with Differential and Platelets Blood Test evaluates blood cell types and levels to help diagnose health conditions and track treatment response.
What is the purpose of this test?
Order this CBC with Differential and Platelets Blood Test, which evaluates blood cell types and levels to help diagnose health conditions and track treatment response. Healthcare providers use a complete blood count (CBC) to check all the different types of cells in your blood. This test measures the amount of red blood cells (RBC), white blood cells (WBC), and platelets (PLT) in your blood. These cells are essential for your body's well-being, so it's important to know their levels. A CBC can help diagnose and monitor different health conditions and how your body responds to treatments.
The CBC with Differential and Platelets Blood Test consists of the following:
- White Blood Cells (WBC) - The body's primary defense against disease and helps to fight infection.
- Red Blood Cells (RBC) - Responsible for carrying oxygen and carbon dioxide away from all cells. Iron deficiency will lower the RBC count.
- Hemoglobin - A chemical compound inside red cells that transports oxygen through the bloodstream to all body cells. Hemoglobin gives the red color to blood.
- Hematocrit - Measures the amount of space red blood cells take up in the blood. It is reported as a percentage.
- Neutrophils: Neutrophils are the most common type of white blood cells and are created by the bone marrow to combat a wide range of inflammatory and infectious diseases.
- Lymphocytes: B-cells and T-cells are lymphocytes that fight bacteria and other pathogens in the blood. They are primarily found in the lymph system.
- Monocytes: Working alongside neutrophils, monocytes play a vital role in fighting infections and other diseases and clearing away dead or damaged cells.
- Eosinophils: White blood cells called eosinophils become activated in response to allergies and certain infections.
- Basophils: Basophils play a role in detecting infections early on, as well as aiding in wound healing and reacting to allergic responses.
- Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin (MCH): The average hemoglobin concentration within a red blood cell.
- Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin Concentration (MCHC): The average hemoglobin concentration percentage within a red blood cell.
- Mean Corpuscular Volume (MCV): The average size of red blood cells.
- Platelets: Blood cell particles associated with the forming of blood clots.
- Red Cell Distribution Width (RDW): Measures the amount of red blood cell variation in volume and size.
- Absolute Neutrophils: The absolute neutrophil count measures the number of neutrophils in your blood. Normal range is 2,500-7,000 per microliter. Counts outside this range indicate a possible condition.
- Absolute Lymphocytes: To calculate your absolute lymphocyte count, multiply your white blood cell count by the percentage of lymphocytes. This gives you the number of lymphocytes as an absolute number.
- Absolute Monocytes: The absolute monocyte count indicates the number of monocytes in the blood, helping to identify if the count is normal, high, or low.
- Absolute Eosinophils: Absolute eosinophil count measures the number of eosinophils in blood by multiplying the percentage of eosinophils in a complete blood count with the total number of white blood cells in the same count.
- Absolute Basophils: Absolute basophil count is calculated by multiplying the percentage of basophils by the total number of white blood cells in a blood sample.
When should I order a CBC with Differential and Platelets Blood Test?
Individuals may order this test as part of a routine health exam or if they have a high risk of certain diseases or conditions. This panel is particularly beneficial for individuals who are showing signs of kidney, liver, or metabolism disorders. Some common indications of such disorders may include:
- Abdominal pain and bloating
- Swelling in the legs and ankles
- Dark urine
- Pale stool
- Nausea or vomiting
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests