Magnesium Serum Test
The Magnesium Serum Test measures the level of magnesium in the blood. Magnesium is an important electrolyte and needed for proper muscle, nerve, and enzyme function.
Magnesium helps the body use and make and is needed to move potassium and sodium into and out of cells.
A test for magnesium is done in order to:
- Find a cause for nerve and muscle problems, such as irritability, muscle twitches, and muscle weakness.
- Find the cause of symptoms, such as low blood pressure, nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, vomiting, muscle weakness, and slurred speech.
- Find the cause of trouble breathing or heart problems, especially in people who have kidney disease.
- Find the cause of a low potassium or calcium level that is not improving with treatment.
- Look for changes in magnesium levels caused by medicines, including diuretics.
- Check if those with heart problems need extra magnesium. Low magnesium levels may increase the chances of life-threatening heart rhythm problems.
- Measure magnesium levels when it is being given for medical treatment.
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests