Metabolomic Profile, Serum - Doctor's Data Kit
This Metabolic Profile, Serum assesses the likelihood of Metabolic syndrome (MetS) in individuals with an increased risk. Note: This is a pre-paid shipping test kit that will be mailed and it requires a blood draw. Please Click Here to locate a lab for specimen collection.
This test measures the following analytes:
- Cystatin C
- C-Reactive Protein
- Creatinine; serum with eGFR
- Glycomark (1,5-AG)
- Leptin: Adiponectin ratio
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
What is Metabolic Syndrome?
Metabolic syndrome (MetS) is a group of symptoms that indicate an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and other health problems. MetS is prevalent in the United States, affecting about 25% of Americans. Experts are not certain whether the condition is due to one single cause, but many of the risks are related to obesity. In addition, although individuals may have just one risk factor, they often have several of them together. Therefore, it is called metabolic syndrome when an individual has at least three of the following factors:
- Abdominal obesity or "having an apple shape." Too much fat around the stomach is a more significant risk factor for heart disease than too much fat in other areas of the body.
- High triglyceride level (150 mg/dL or higher). Triglycerides are a type of lipid located in the blood.
- Low HDL cholesterol level (less than 50 mg/dL for women or less than 40 mg/dL for men). HDL is often referred to as the "good" cholesterol because it helps remove cholesterol from your arteries.
- High blood pressure (130/85 mmHg or higher). If your blood pressure stays high over time, it can damage your heart and lead to other health problems.
- High fasting blood sugar (100 mg/dL or higher). Mildly high blood sugar may be an early sign of diabetes.
What is the purpose of this test?
Order this Metabolic Profile to assess the likelihood of Metabolic syndrome (MetS) in individuals with an increased risk. Over the last two decades, MetS has been growing at an alarming rate. As a result, Doctor's Data developed the Metabolomic Profile to raise awareness of the need to detect Metabolic syndrome before it progresses to adult-onset diabetes and related health problems. Metabolic syndrome is characterized by a group of cardiometabolic risk factors, with insulin resistance and adiposity as the primary indicators. Because individuals with metabolic syndrome have an increased risk of diabetes, renal damage, and coronary heart disease, early detection is vital since associated symptoms may not be apparent until it is well advanced. In addition, early detection and targeted treatment plans, such as dietary and lifestyle changes, may prevent the development of symptoms or disease complications. This profile assists healthcare providers in the early detection of Metabolic syndrome.
When should I order a Metabolic Profile, Serum?
Individuals may order this Metabolic Profile if they have one or more risk factors or have experienced metabolic syndrome symptoms. This Metabolomic Profile may be useful for individuals with the following conditions:
- A large waistline or body mass index (BMI) >30
- High triglycerides or are taking cholesterol medication
- Low HDL cholesterol or are taking cholesterol medication
- Hypertension or are taking hypertension medication
- Fasting Glucose level > 100 mg/dL
- Family or personal history of cardiovascular disease, high cholesterol, or type II diabetes
- Insulin resistance
- History of chronic inflammatory disease
- Women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests