Tri-iodothyronine (T3) Blood Test
The Tri-Iodothyronine (T3) Blood Test helps evaluate thyroid gland function and diagnose hyperthyroidism.
What is the purpose of this test?
Order this Tri-Iodothyronine (T3) Blood Test, which helps evaluate thyroid gland function and diagnose hyperthyroidism. The T3 hormone regulates metabolism by controlling the conversion of oxygen and calories to energy in our cells. It is crucial in managing the body's temperature, heart rate, and metabolism.
If you have a confirmed thyroid problem, a T3 test is conducted to monitor any changes in your condition. Pregnant women and those with liver disease usually have high levels of T3.
What do abnormal T3 levels indicate?
Abnormal T3 levels may be indicative of a thyroid disorder. Potential thyroid disorders include:
- Hyperthyroidism: when your thyroid produces too much thyroid hormone
- Hypopituitarism: when your pituitary gland doesn't produce normal amounts of pituitary hormones
- Primary or secondary hypothyroidism: when your thyroid doesn't produce normal amounts of thyroid hormones
- Thyrotoxic periodic paralysis: when your thyroid produces high levels of thyroid hormones, resulting in muscle weakness
When should I order a Tri-Iodothyronine (T3) Blood Test?
Individuals may order this test if they have experienced symptoms related to hyperthyroidism. Common signs or symptoms of hyperthyroidism include:
- Weakness and fatigue
- Low heat intolerance
- Difficulty sleeping
- Increased sensitivity to heat or cold
- Weight loss or gain
- Dry or puffy skin
- Dry, irritated, puffy, or bulging eyes
- Hair loss
- Hand tremors
- Rapid heart rate
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests