B-Type Natriuretic Peptide (BNP) Blood Test
The B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) assesses the BNP hormone levels in your blood. BNP works together with another heart hormone, the atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP), to keep veins and arteries dilated or widened. This allows easy blood passage and prevents the formation of clots.
The BNP test will detect a BNP elevation that usually indicates heart failure.
Symptoms of heart failure may include:
- inability to concentrate or remain alert
- trouble breathing
- abnormally high or irregular heart rate
- nausea or having no appetite
- rapid weight gain without a change in diet or activity level
- coughing a lot, and producing pink or white phlegm
- feeling exhausted or weak for no apparent reason
This test can also assist in ruling out heart failure. Conditions other than heart failure that may cause higher levels of BNP than normal include lung or kidney conditions or being obese.
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests