Calcium Urine Test, 24-Hour
A Calcium Urine Test, 24-Hour measures the level of calcium in your urine.
Calcium is the most common mineral in the body. All cells throughout the body use calcium for various functions. The body uses calcium to build and repair bones and teeth. Calcium also helps nerves, the heart, and muscles function properly and helps blood to clot.
Most of the calcium in the body is stored in bones. The remainder is found in the blood.
When calcium levels in the blood get too low, the bones release enough calcium to bring the level in the blood back to normal. When calcium levels get too high, the surplus of calcium is either stored in bones or expelled from the body through your urine or stool.
The amount of calcium that’s in your body depends on the following factors:
- amount of calcium taken in from food
- amount of calcium and vitamin D absorbed through the intestines
- level of phosphate in the body
- certain hormone levels — such as estrogen, calcitonin, and parathyroid hormone
Most often, people who have high or low levels of calcium do not show any symptoms. Calcium levels need to be extremely high or extremely low to show symptoms.
Reasons to perform a urine calcium test include:
- evaluating whether high calcium levels in the urine resulted in the development of a kidney stone
- evaluating whether your dietary intake of calcium is high enough
- evaluating how well your intestines are absorbing calcium
- detecting conditions that lead to calcium loss from your bones
- evaluating how well your kidneys are functioning
- looking for problems with the parathyroid gland
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests