Follicle-stimulating Hormone (FSH) and Luteinizing Hormone (LH) Blood Test Panel
The Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and Luteinizing Hormone (LH) Blood Test Panel measures FSH & LH levels and helps screen for issues with fertility or reproductive organs, ovulation, or pituitary function.
What is the purpose of this test?
Both follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) are hormones associated with reproduction and the development of reproductive organs in women (eggs) and men (sperm). FSH & LH are made by a pea-sized gland found at the base of the brain, commonly known as the pituitary gland. Regulation of FSH & LH production is an intricate system comprised of the hypothalamus, pituitary gland, and the hormones produced by the reproductive organs (ovaries or testicles). The hypothalamus releases gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH), which provokes the pituitary to release FSH & LH. Order this Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and Luteinizing Hormone (LH) Blood Test Panel to measure FSH & LH levels and help screen for issues with fertility and reproductive organs, ovulation, or pituitary function.
What causes abnormal FSH & LH levels?
Several health conditions may cause a malfunction of the hypothalamus, pituitary, or reproductive organs, which can lead to abnormal production of FSH & LH, resulting in various conditions, such as infertility, irregular menstrual cycles, and early or delayed puberty. Abnormal FSH & LH levels may be caused by one or more of the following conditions:
- Damage to the ovaries
- Radiation exposure or chemotherapy
- Autoimmune disease
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Adrenal disease
- Thyroid disease
- Ovarian cancer
- Pituitary disorder or problem with the hypothalamus
- Viral infection (mumps)
- Germ cell tumor
- Gonadal agenesis
- Klinefelter syndrome
- Brain injury, trauma
- Central nervous system tumor
- Meningitis or encephalitis
- Hormone deficiency
- Turner syndrome
- Eating disorder
When should I order an FSH & LH Blood Test Panel?
This FSH & LH Blood Test Panel is most useful when an individual has one of the following health conditions:
- A woman having difficulty getting pregnant or is having irregular or no menstrual periods
- A man with a low sperm count, low muscle mass, decreased sex drive, or when their partner cannot get pregnant
- Individuals with symptoms of a pituitary disorder or hypothalamic disorder
- A child suspected of having a delayed or earlier-than-expected puberty
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests