Androstenedione Blood Test, LC/MS
The Androstenedione Blood Test, LC/MS, measures androstenedione levels to evaluate adrenal gland, ovarian, or testicular function and to identify excess androgens in women.
What is the purpose of this test?
Order this Androstenedione Blood Test, LC/MS, which measures the amount of androstenedione in the blood to evaluate the function of the adrenal gland, ovaries, or testicles, and to find the cause of excess androgens in women. Androstenedione is a type of androgen, among the "male" sex hormones, that causes the start of sexual differentiation in males and females and the growth of secondary male physical traits like facial hair and a deep voice. While it is classified as a "male" sex hormone, it can be found in the blood of both males and females. Androstenedione acts as a precursor that can be transformed into stronger androgens, like testosterone or the female hormone estrogen. This test is conducted to determine the level of androstenedione in the blood.
The Androstenedione Blood Test, LC/MS, may be used to:
- Evaluate adrenal gland function and differentiate between androgen-secreting conditions caused by the adrenal glands and those originating in the ovaries or testicles if DHEAS and testosterone test results are abnormal.
- Help diagnose tumors in the adrenal gland's outer layer (cortex) or those outside the adrenal gland that secrete ACTH (ectopic) and separate these conditions from ovarian or testicular tumors and cancers.
- Diagnose congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) and monitor CAH treatment, in addition to tests for testosterone and 17-hydroxyprogesterone, for example
- Help diagnose polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and help rule out other causes of infertility, no monthly menstrual periods (amenorrhea), and excess body and facial hair (hirsutism) in women who have abnormal results on tests for DHEAS, testosterone, and other hormones such as FSH, LH, prolactin, and estrogen.
- Investigate and diagnose the cause of male physical characteristics (virilization) in young girls and early (precocious) puberty in young boys.
- Help determine the cause of delayed puberty and investigate suspected ovarian or testicular failure.
When should I order an Androstenedione Blood Test, LC/MS?
Individuals may order this test if they have experienced symptoms related to excess androgen production. Common signs or symptoms of excess androgen production may include:
- A voice that is lower in pitch
- Excess facial or body hair
- Irregular menstruation
- Male pattern baldness
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests