Electrolyte Blood Test Panel
The Electrolyte Blood Test Panel measures electrolyte levels in the blood to help determine an electrolyte, fluid, or pH imbalance.
The Electrolyte Blood Test Panel includes:
- Carbon Dioxide
What is the purpose of this test?
Order this Electrolyte Blood Test Panel to measure the amount of sodium, potassium, chloride, and carbon dioxide (electrolytes) in the blood to help determine an electrolyte, fluid, or pH imbalance. Electrolytes are minerals that help manage fluid levels in the body, regulate acid-base balance, and stimulate the function of muscles and nerves.
- Sodium - is an electrolyte with a positive electric charge that plays a critical role in managing fluid levels in the body. In addition, it stimulates normal nerve and muscle functions.
- Potassium - has a positive electric charge and is essential for many cells, muscle, and nerve functions.
- Chloride - has a negative electric charge and operates with other electrolytes to manage fluid levels and the acid-base balance in the body.
- Bicarbonate (Carbon Dioxide) - is an electrolyte with a negative electric charge. Along with regulating acid-base balance, bicarbonate helps transport carbon dioxide (CO2) in the blood. Therefore, bicarbonate levels are referred to as carbon dioxide.
When should I get an Electrolyte Blood Test Panel?
An Electrolyte Blood Test Panel is usually ordered routinely to screen for or to help diagnose individuals showcasing specific signs or symptoms of an electrolyte imbalance, such as:
- Fluid accumulation (edema)
- Nausea or vomiting
- Muscle twitching, cramps, or paralysis
- Irregular heartbeat (cardiac arrhythmias)
Electrolyte measurements may help investigate conditions that cause electrolyte imbalances, such as:
- Kidney disease
- Lung disease
- Heart disease
- Acidosis (too much acid in the blood)
- Alkalosis (too much base in the blood)
Individuals may order this Electrolyte Blood Test Panel to help screen for a fluid or acid and base imbalance that may be causing specific symptoms, aid in monitoring response to imbalance treatments, and detect the side effects of certain medications.
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests