Vitamin C Blood Test
The Vitamin C Blood Test measures vitamin C levels in the blood to screen for a vitamin C deficiency and assess the risk of scurvy.
What is the purpose of this test?
Order this Vitamin C Blood Test measures vitamin C levels in the blood to screen for a vitamin C deficiency and assess the risk of scurvy. Vitamin C plays a vital role in the growth and repair of body tissues, including:
- Repairing and maintaining cartilage, bones, and teeth.
- Healing wounds and forming scar tissue.
- Aiding in making skin, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels.
Vitamin C comes from fruits and vegetables. Good sources include citrus, red and green peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, and greens. In addition, ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is used as a dietary supplement or added to some juices and cereals when the amount of ascorbic acid in the diet is insufficient. For example, individuals with a limited variety of food in their diet or who have intestinal malabsorption problems from cancer or kidney disease are at high risk of developing a vitamin C deficiency.
What causes abnormal vitamin C levels?
Several conditions may affect vitamin C levels, most commonly affecting individuals with malnutrition or intestinal malabsorption issues. Intestinal malabsorption issues that affect vitamin C levels are caused by gastrointestinal disorders, such as:
- Crohn's disease
- Celiac disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
Additionally, vitamin C malabsorption may also be caused by:
- Kidney disease
- Kidney failure
When should I order a Vitamin C Blood Test?
Individuals may order this test if they have experienced symptoms related to a vitamin C deficiency. Common symptoms of vitamin C deficiency include:
- Sunken eyes
- Inflamed joints
- Loss of appetite
- Fatigue and weakness
- Nosebleeds and easy bruising
- Dry, splitting hair and dry, rough skin
- Weight gain caused by a slowed metabolism
- Decreased ability to fight infection and heal wounds
- Gingivitis, bleeding gums, and weakened tooth enamel
Trusted, Secure, & Confidential
Shop All Tests